I help companies solve difficult technical challenges.
I am a tech industry veteran with a broad range of experience in IT, software and embedded engineering, and leadership roles. I have been a Solaris cluster administrator for a search engine company, the senior systems engineer on a large R&D informatics web project for the life sciences industry, chief IT architect for a startup, director of web development for a marketing company (two actually), and most recently an independent embedded engineer primarily serving the live entertainment industry.
I am an expert self-educator and an excellent communicator with a talent for explaining difficult technical subject matter. I’m a big picture planner but I mind the details during execution. I’m a patient instructor with a coaching style of leadership.
I am available for consulting on your IT projects or for hire as an independent engineer.
Please review my qualifications below and contact me today for more information.
Protocols and Standards: I am solidly grounded in most web-related standards including HTTP, HTML, XML, and CSS. I served on the working group that produced the CGI 1.1 specification and am acknowledged therein. I have programming experience with many other standards and communication protocols. My recent experience in the live entertainment industry has exposed me to some specialized protocols such as DMX, Art-Net, OSC, and CITP.
Platforms: I have over twenty five years of experience with Linux and Unix (including Solaris, AIX, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, OS X, and many different Linux distributions.) I frequently have to use Windows. I also have experience with embedded development on micro-controller platforms including Atmel AVR and STM32 (ARM Cortex M.)
Electronic Engineering: For the past five years, I have been working primarily as an independent embedded engineer for clients in the live entertainment industry including Control Freak Systems and Pyrotek Special FX. I am self-taught in electronics and have an intermediate understanding of both analog and digital circuit design and troubleshooting. I have an FCC Extra class amateur radio operator’s license.
Other Interests: I am well-rounded and have many interests outside of technology. I am passionate about photography, devil sticks, and Aikido, to name a few. But, the most important to me are my wife and two wonderful daughters.
Independent Embedded Engineer (self-employed) 2015 – Present
- Design and build systems with hardware, firmware, and software components.
- Design circuits and circuit boards using EDA tools such as Spice and Eagle.
- Prototype, test, and debug circuits on my fully equipped electronics bench.
- Work with SBCs, the Arduino ecosystem, ARM MCUs (STM32), and Atmel MCUs.
- Coordinate with companies providing PCB fabrication and assembly services.
Consultant (self-employed) 2004 – Present
- Advise clients on all aspects of web, IT, and software development projects.
- Assist clients with writing software and implementing IT systems.
Director of Web Development, Tower Marketing 2012 – 2013
- Managed production team.
- Directed development of LAMP stack web applications.
- Maintained and improved PCI compliant web hosting infrastructure serving dozens of domains.
- Evaluated and adopted technical solutions based on analysis of business needs.
- Instituted development process improvements that added directly to company bottom line.
- Managed LAN including firewall, VPN servers, development servers, and Mac workstations.
Chief Architect / Advisor to the Board, vzillion Inc. 2009 – 2012
- Advised CEO and Board on technology issues and made strategic recommendations.
- Spearheaded design of company’s proprietary semantic web platform.
- Managed distributed development team.
- Developed prototypes of semantic web platform components.
Technical Director, Top Floor Studio 2006 – 2007
- Managed production team including six full-time employees and various contractors.
- Directed and led development of custom web applications.
- Supervised production of web sites based on Joomla, WordPress, and other CMS software.
- Oversaw maintenance of IT infrastructure for web hosting and development.
Senior Systems Engineer, MDL Information Systems 2001 – 2004
- Coordinated efforts between the IT and dev groups during the development and testing of www.discoverygate.com.
- Wrote an extensive custom toolkit for monitoring and testing performance of www.discoverygate.com.
- Led IT support for www.discoverygate.com and company’s configuration management group.
- Assisted in writing company IT policy and determining the IT department’s strategic direction through service on steering and security committees.
- Built and maintained host/network monitoring system based on Nagios.
- Maintained network services including DNS, NFS, NIS, IRC, and email.
Custom Systems Administrator, Inktomi Corporation 2000 – 2001
- Collaborated with sales support, customer service, and clients to develop custom search solutions.
- Modified proprietary document collection indexing and searching software to meet clients’ unique needs.
- Administrated large Sun/Solaris clusters in 24/7/365 high availability production environment.
- Created system administration, statistical analysis, and development tools in Perl and Python.
Project Leader, Aexpert Inc. 1999 – 2000
- Worked side-by-side with company founder to design artificial financial models based on artificial intelligence techniques.
- LedÂ the development of financial models that timed the market and recommended asset allocations.
- Oversaw production operation of system used to make trading decisions on accounts with total assets in excess of $50M.
Freelance Web Developer 1997 – 2000
- Designed and developed web applications using the CGI interface in C and Perl.
- Assisted clients with all aspects of developing and maintaining their web sites.
- Developed distributed system to monitor the operational status of clients’ web sites.
Software Engineer Intern, GeoSystems Global Corp. (mapquest.com) 1997
- Assisted in design of GeoSystem’s MapWare Server product.
- Implemented MapWare Server API libraries in Java and Perl.
- Designed and implemented web traffic analysis software.
- Developed server and web administration tools in Perl.
Technical Co-op, NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory. 1996
- Developed engineering data management applications in Perl and C.
- Created CGI-based user interfaces to existing software systems.
- Assisted with systems administration of Linux, SunOS, and Solaris servers.
Millersville University, Millersville, PA
BS Computer Science: 112.5 (37 major) of 120 credits completed. Major GPA: 4.0 & Overall GPA: 3.7
Personal and professional references available upon request.