Independent Embedded Engineer (self-employed) 2015 - Present
- Design and build systems with hardware, firmware, and software components.
- Design circuits and circuit boards using EDA tools such as Spice and Eagle.
- Prototype, test, and debug circuits on my fully equipped electronics bench.
- Work with SBCs, the Arduino ecosystem, ARM MCUs (STM32), and Atmel MCUs.
- Coordinate with companies providing PCB fabrication and assembly services.
Consultant (self-employed) 2004 - Present
- Advise clients on all aspects of web, IT, and software development projects.
- Assist clients with writing software and implementing IT systems.
Director of Web Development, Tower Marketing 2012 - 2013
- Managed production team.
- Directed development of LAMP stack web applications.
- Maintained and improved PCI compliant web hosting infrastructure serving dozens of domains.
- Evaluated and adopted technical solutions based on analysis of business needs.
- Instituted development process improvements that added directly to company bottom line.
- Managed LAN including firewall, VPN servers, development servers, and Mac workstations.
Chief Architect / Advisor to the Board, vzillion Inc. 2009 - 2012
- Advised CEO and Board on technology issues and made strategic recommendations.
- Spearheaded design of vzillion's proprietary semantic web platform.
- Managed distributed development team.
- Developed prototypes of semantic web platform components.
Technical Director, Top Floor Studio 2006 - 2007
- Managed production team including six full-time employees and various contractors.
- Directed and led development of custom web applications.
- Supervised production of web sites based on Joomla, WordPress, and other CMS software.
- Oversaw maintenance of IT infrastructure for web hosting and development.
Senior Systems Engineer, MDL Information Systems 2001 - 2004
- Coordinated IT and development efforts on www.discoverygate.com.
- Created custom toolkit for monitoring and testing performance of www.discoverygate.com.
- Led IT support for www.discoverygate.com and MDL's configuration management group.
- Helped write IT policy through service on steering and security committees.
- Built and maintained host/network monitoring system based on Nagios.
- Maintained network services including DNS, NFS, NIS, email, and IRC.
Custom Systems Administrator, Inktomi Corporation 2000 - 2001
- Collaborated with sales, customer service, and clients to develop custom search solutions.
- Customized proprietary document collection, indexing, and searching software to meet clients' unique needs.
- Administered large Sun/Solaris clusters in 24/7/365 high availability production environment.
- Created system administration, statistical analysis, and development tools in Perl and Python.
Project Leader, Aexpert Inc. 1999 - 2000
- Assisted with the design and development of proprietary neural network based trading system.
- Maintained and improved proprietary data acquisition and time-series data storage systems.
- Led the development of an asset-allocation/risk-management system.
- Oversaw production operation of trading system used to manage accounts with total assets in excess of $50,000,000.
Freelance Web Developer 1997 - 2000
- Designed and developed web applications using the CGI interface in C and Perl.
- Assisted clients with all aspects of developing and maintaining their web sites.
- Developed distributed system to monitor the operational status of clients' web sites.
Software Engineer Intern, GeoSystems Global Corp. (mapquest.com) 1997
- Assisted in design of GeoSystem's MapWare Server product.
- Implemented MapWare Server API libraries in Java and Perl.
- Designed and implemented web traffic analysis software.
- Developed server and web administration tools in Perl.
Technical Co-op, NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory. 1996
- Developed engineering data management applications in Perl and C.
- Created CGI-based user interfaces to existing software systems.
- Assisted with systems administration of Linux, SunOS, and Solaris servers.
- BS Computer Science: 112.5 (37 major) of 120 credits completed.
- Major GPA: 4.0
- Overall GPA: 3.7
Personal and professional references available upon request.